http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_diving
Gross.
I think I have previously explained that right in my line of sight from this computer space, directly outside my patio door not much more than 50 feet away (about 15-17 metres away) are two dumpsters. One is for actual garbage. One is for recyclables.
When I first moved here, I went to the caretaker and, like Mrs. Kravitz on I Dream Of Jeannie, reported that the garbage truck was dumping it all -- the garbage AND recycling -- in the same truck, obviously making a complete mockery out of efforts to reduce garbage in landfills.
And recycle items to REDUCE garbage, which I thought was the point of the whole exercise?
And WHY have an entire population of an apartment complex separate their garbage and recycling under the assumption they're pretending to keep the two separate, when they're all eventually dumped into the same garbage truck anyway?
And, in the end, the same landfill?
It's high absurdity.
So it meant that while renters were making the effort to separate their refuse from recyclables, and putting recyclables in ONE dumpster and refuse in the other, the refuse company disregarded this and dumped both into the same truck.
The caretaker obviously ignored my rant because the exact same thing is still happening. So much for being a whistle-blower. So like a good renter, I have just become apathetic and no longer worry about it.
But I worry for my kids or my kids' kids, who will have to deal with tons and tons of human waste foisted upon their environment by parents who didn't care. They likely SAID they care, including me. But actions, or INactions, speak louder than words.
MUCH louder.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUYCnkEKc0
https://plus.google.com/s/Landfill
http://www.cnbc.com/id/39310145
http://www.themindfulword.org/2012/improper-waste-management-disposal/

"High absurdity" indeed, Chris.
ReplyDeleteAnd that CNBC link you included said-- in 2010!-- that this was a "thing of the past" (in the U.S., but still):
"Horror stories from the early days of recycling—about curbside recyclables dutifully sorted by households and businesses being thrown into the same trucks as the rest of the garbage and taken to the same landfill for disposal—are now in the past, says Darby Hoover of the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)."
BTW: Mrs. Kravitz was on "Bewitched".
- Doug
It is abhorrent, Doug. But I've increasingly noticed, it happens every time. More apathy. What. ME worry? I've told the people who run this place. Have they put a stop to it? Nope.
ReplyDelete