Thursday, 27 June 2013

Delusion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion

I got into a predictable discussion with a Facebook friend the other day. I try to stay away from discussions about a "god." I do not wish to insult the beliefs of others, no matter how much I might disagree.

On the other hand, I am very opinionated and WANT to be that way instead of apathetic, meek and quiet. So I voice my opinions, and that includes about personal belief systems like religion. I am an athiest.

 http://www.religionfacts.com/big_religion_chart.htm

I believe in NO deity. I was raised Catholic and was an altar boy for year, so this is a conscious change. I don't see him much any more, but one of my treasured friends is a former priest. Another is his wife, a former nun.

Essentially, my logic is like any other belief system I have. If I can't see it, feel it, touch it hear it, taste it or if it registers "danger" on my b.s. meter, I don't believe in it. Period. No exceptions. Like a play or movie, it has to be believable.

Or, if it's evident it is a fantasy, I suspend belief and play along. But this is a fantasy made up of b.s. that has formed the belief system for millions who don't question it or its story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVr9bJ8Sctk

It's like the Wizard of Oz, including the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, the Lion and Dorothy and her little dog Toto, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSZxmZmBfnU

I do not believe in walking on water or splitting a sea or being raised from the dead or any other miracle believable any more than I believe in an egg named Humpty Dumpty and that he fell on his head, OR the Wizard of Oz, and find the notion of such histrionics absurd.

Like America's gun debate -- as if there's a debate that guns kill -- the belief in a god has its supporters, of course, and they are unshaken by stated realities AGAINST their belief systems, suspect or shaky though they may be.

They feel they don't HAVE to prove anything, because it's all about faith anyway.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith
http://www.beliefnet.com/Wellness/2007/02/Debunking-The-God-Delusion-Part-1.aspx

 
From MY point of view, it IS a delusion. But knock yourselves out.
 
 
  1.  

4 comments:

  1. I got into one with a friend of a friend on FB about the Goddess Maggie Thatcher. Just as ludicrous; their gods...and goddesses...whether bona fide fictional deities or elevated humans like Maggie, can do no wrong and it's just wasting good brain cells trying to convince them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura: Wasting brain cells is right. I barely could muster strength to do it -- could have used god's help. But couldn't find Him. Drat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a friend, Richard Lister, who commented on Farcebook: "I have to disagree with you Chris, as I have experienced too many answered prayers (of both my own and others) and incredible co-incidences to dismiss the intervention of God in my life. I do not, however believe in pushing my faith onto others, as we all have freedom to choose our own paths to travel. Whatever one's belief, it is important to be true to yourself, rather than following a faith/point of view because it may please others."

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.wayofthemind.org/2006/09/27/why-do-people-believe-in-god/ My response to Richard, an url.

    ReplyDelete

Be critical. Disagree, if you want. But don't be abusive.