Monday, 1 July 2013

Gawd awful

Hmmm...

A religious zealot from England launched a tirade in defence of his Supreme Being and mind control master recently, responding to a post I wrote, found elsewhere on this blog, entitled Delusion.

I am responding to his comments with yet another blog about the subject.

I am just like any other heathen who disbelieves. I respect the rights of those who say they believe TO believe, but I wonder whether they really DO believe, or if they were just raised by their parents to believe.

And I feel I have the right to question their beliefs, comment on them, ask them to explain WHY they believe and for them to substantiate their beliefs with an intellectual, provable defence of them.

Anything else must withstand scrutiny. Why not religion? We question EVERYTHING. But the existence of a gawd? The rationale for centering your life and values around a being that supposedly could walk on water, split seas, etc.?

There is belief. Then there is suspension of belief. Why not then believe in Humpty Dumpty? Kids spinning their heads around 360 degrees and walking upside down on the ceiling?

A car needs brakes; a computer game or anything else you buy needs to work and must have a guarantee that it works. Or you will not risk the possibility of paying money or having confidence in something that doesn't work.

You will not buy it. That's why there are test drives. So you can see whether that vehicle has your confidence. That's why there are driving tests for young drivers. To see whether we, as a society, think they are responsible enough.

At any rate, most importantly, I wonder if people have REALLY THOUGHT IT THROUGH. Something as important as your religious beliefs; Why are we here and who put us here? Would you rather be told why we're here?

Or use your own thought process, and your own faith in yourself, to arrive at your own conclusions based on YOUR OWN thought process?

Don't you think it deserves that at least?

Political systems withstand sober second thought; the water will evaporate from my aquarium or my cat's water bowl if they are not replenished. Both are accepted principles, provable fact. Why believe something that ISN'T accepted, provable fact?

Yes, yes, I know. Faith.

Faith is an abstract, an excuse for worshipping that which you don't feel you ever have to prove or disprove. You just have to have FAITH in something. I can have faith in myself; that's at least a real thing that I can see; I can touch.

I lost my balance last night, and fell awkwardly on my computer printer, sustaining a nasty laceration on my arm. A stroke will do that and plays havoc with balance. Or, maybe, it was an act of God to punish me for being a non-believer.

I didn't wait for gawd to help me up; I got up myself, applied pressure with Kleenex to stop the bleeding, washed it off, applied a Band-Aid, and bingo-bango-bongo -- I am alive.

Hocus Pocus? Like being possessed by Satan and turning my head 360 degrees several times? Or walking on the ceiling? Or on water?

Any doctor would say that no, I lost my balance because that sometimes happens to those struck by strokes. Nothing more.

So believe, fearful flock, what you believe.

 
 
 
 

Gawd or lack of belief in same has caused much ruckus over the centuries. It is a notion whose lack of credibility and believability has come and gone. It is a fairy-tale.

At least, that is MY belief.

2 comments:

  1. From Facebook, from friend Laura Harrison McBride, who lives in England: "Great one....and I'm now going to have to insert bingo, bango, bongo into something I write, too."

    ReplyDelete
  2. And from my lovely long-time blogger friend in Florida, Carmen Perez Lomando, on FB: "I enjoyed your post, Chris Cariou!" Thanks to you both, lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete

Be critical. Disagree, if you want. But don't be abusive.