Friday, 21 June 2013

Shit Happens


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_major_depressive_disorder

Almost seven per cent or so of the planet's population suffers from mental illness. They have chemical imbalances in their brains -- congenital defects they were by unfortunate, hereditary circumstance born with, like deaf people, blind people, people with M.S., people with autism, etc.

What are the odds, huh? Very small. Like the odds of you being hit by a bolt of lightning. One of my childhood friends was struck by lightning, and died. It has, I believe, nothing to do with a "god." It has everything to do with "Shit happens."

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/1mdd_adult.shtml
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jcv6mh0uok

As if there was any doubt, I am writing about this because yes, I have some family members I love who are among this tiny minority. I have had friends and lovers  born with this affliction. They can MORE than function.

It is just way more difficult. The skills they adapt JUST TO SURVIVE, to get by, are incredible. Admirable. Meds help, of course. Still, bravery and courage must be in great supply, I assume.

 Some people have cancer. Some have Aids. Some have heart attacks. Some have mental illness. It carries with it an unfair mark like a big "X," as if you are stamped for life like a cow destined for eventual slaughter.

I can only imagine that it is a war of a lifetime you can never win, but must keep fighting anyway,  because to surrender, to give in, would be like throwing yourself into a dark crevasse and you cannot see the bottom.

Significant people through my life have and have had and might have mental illness.

They are the loveliest of people. Because they endure an illness few can see and the hardships associated with it. People with it or ANY affliction, in my experience, are the strongest people, not the weakest.

They find the strength to battle whatever affliction it is. They come to some kind of terms with it. They might not defeat it. But at least they live with it.





2 comments:

  1. There is so much truth in this post, Chris. Some of the most amazing people I know have had very serious struggles. I am in awe of their strength and feel very blessed to know them. By the way, you are one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Your own change of lifestyle, I'm guessing you would say, is much more than just physical. At any rate, congratulations! Transformations of all kinds demand bravery...

      Delete

Be critical. Disagree, if you want. But don't be abusive.