Thursday, 13 June 2013

Garbage Deux (Garbage Duh)

Kids, today's lesson is how NOT to vomit when you see a member of your own species, which is truly omnivorous, sort through a garbage dumpster in search of...I don't know. It is more gross than watching crows, the heretofore "masters" of garbage.

My cat was in fact a joint witness. Pix would be too graphic. A vid is out of the question and would be x-rated.

Blechh.

Crows and vultures and  other creatures like hyenas have evolved over millennia to become nature's garbage disposal experts. They survive and thrive on that stuff. Rotting carcasses. Fly-ridden remains.

THAT is NOT revolting.

When a human, the highest evolved form of life (I think), does it, and they don't HAVE to do it to survive, like I've seen others have to do, unfortunately, something's amiss. It is a morbid curiosity. It is picking through shit, pardon that.

On the other hand, people do what they have to in order to survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Wx230gYJw


10 comments:

  1. i hope you're not saying they eat what they find in the garbage.
    -pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Pauline: OF COURSE I'm saying that. They, like flies, have no money. They have no food. Their subsistence, like a hyena's or any scavenger's, depends on what they find. If they don't EAT what they find in the garbage, they find the thrown-away bottles in there (I've seen this), cash them in and use that cash, I assume, to buy food they live off of. It is IMPOSSIBLE not to observe. The dumpsters are maybe 30 feet from my patio door. I do not take any pleasure in seeing this. It is just a sad reality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waste_picker

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sad indeed. there is only that much we can do.
    -pauline

    ReplyDelete
  5. can the government look after them?
    there must be a home where they can stay. taking a vid would be not dignified but sometimes it works better in getting them help. i expect you will have lots to say to that, being an ex-journalist, you will see and understand lots that i don't.
    in my country, when someone posts something like this, the people/public and authority starts to take some form of action.
    -pauline

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pauline: That's just the way it is. It is an accepted part of our society. Not a nice part. But an accepted part. It is inevitable. It is like the lions, king of the forests, and hyenas, which are scavengers, mostly feeding off others' kills. The government looks at it that way too. It's the under-belly of our society. The ugly but true part. It's just part of the strongest survive. The weakest? Not so much. There ARE safe houses and other places of refuge. It's not enough. There are not enough safeguards. They are sometimes left to perish in the freezing cold of winter, falling asleep outside while drunk and never waking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Dad used to say: "There but for the grace of God go I."

    - Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug: It is true. But for a few different decisions or different paths, anyone else could be the same.

      Delete
  8. thanks for explaining.
    -pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No prob, Pauline, but remember, it's just my opinion. I think anything I said in an allegedly factual way is factual.

      Delete

Be critical. Disagree, if you want. But don't be abusive.